You laughed at something and I laughed too
A half second late, like a bad translation
Counted the buttons on your shirt instead of listening
Four, I think. Maybe five.
Everyone said what a beautiful couple
I heard it from very far away
Like the room had a delay on it
Like I was watching this happen to someone else
What a lovely night, what a waste of right
You held me close, but I was gone all night
What a lovely night, what a beautiful lie
You deserved someone who meant it,
not this goodbye
Your hand found mine under the table
I let it stay there, didn't move it away
Not because I wanted it
Because moving it felt like too much work
I kept waiting to feel something
Kept checking, like patting my pockets for keys
Nothing. Then nothing again.
Then the song ended and everyone clapped
It wasn't your fault, none of it
You did everything a person is supposed to do
I just wasn't in the room
Not really, not for a long time
What a lovely night, what a waste of right
You held me close, but I was gone all night
What a lovely night, what a beautiful lie
You deserved someone who meant it,
not this goodbye
------
Source: genie
Romanised by JHnimm
Comments
Post a Comment