Three years, give or take a few months
I did the math wrong the first two times
You kept the apartment, I kept the couch
Neither of us wanted it, we just split it fast
People ask what happened
and I give them the short version
The long version doesn't fit in a sentence anyway
Something about timing, something about growing
Something neither of us really believes
City of stars, I was never truly yours
Just a chapter that you closed before
I gave you everything, gave you the flame
And you weren't even there to catch it, just the same
I drove past our old street last week
Didn't slow down, didn't speed up either
Just drove, the way you drive past anything
That used to matter and now doesn't, quite
I'm not angry, not anymore, not really
Anger takes a kind of energy I don't keep around
I'm just tired in the specific way
That only this kind of ending makes you
Maybe the city never had any stars in it
Maybe that was always just the lights
Maybe we were never a movie
Just two people who thought they were
City of stars, I was never truly yours
Just a chapter that you closed before
I gave you everything, gave you the flame
And you weren't even there to catch it, just the same
------
Source: genie
Romanised by JHnimm
Comments
Post a Comment